Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) Case Studies
Doug Still, City Forester of Providence, Rhode Island
Ian Hanou, NCDC Imaging & Mapping
In this webcast, the speakers outlined their experiences on a recent Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) Mapping and Analysis Project. This presentation illustrated the practical application of the UTC protocols and technology that have been developed by the US Forest Service, and its research cooperators and partners. The session provided an overview on how to complete a UTC study and included a ground-floor account of what worked well and what can be improved upon.
Documents and Files:
- State of Providence’s Urban Forest Report, by Doug Still, City of Providence
- Urban Tree Canopy Factsheet, by J.Morgan Grove, US Forest Service
- Baltimore Urban Tree Canopy Report, by Michael F. Galvin, J. Morgan Grove and Jarlath O’Neil-Dunne
- Urban Tree Canopy Goals for Washington, DC, by Casey Tree Foundation
- Urban Tree Canopy – US Forest Service, New York City Field Station
- Setting Urban Tree Canopy Goals, by American Forests
Environmental Literacy Websites and Links:
- CITYgreen – a software program that introduces classrooms to GIS by exploring the benefits of urban tree cover. http://www.americanforests.org/envir_edu/school.php
- Natural Inquirer – Forest Service Research Urban Forestry Edition. http://www.naturalinquirer.org/Urban-Forest-Edition-i-9.html
- Project Learning Tree – this site helps educators who use PLT find appropriate activities and additional related resources. http://www.plt.org/cms/urbanforestry/index.php
You can view this month’s webcast below using the embedded video viewer. Just click on Play and the video will start momentarily. Alternatively, you may download a copy to your own PC. Simply right-click on the provided link and save the presentation to your desktop or other appropriate directory. You can then open the file once it is downloaded and view it by using the default Windows Media Player software.
Download the file in Windows Media (WMV) format.